History

Article Index

Since 1820, the area of the Firriato was slowly but steadily reduced with expropriations, and its destiny changed forever. At first a strip, which cut it in two making its management very difficult, was destined to the construction of via della Libertà. In 1833 the cardoon patch was expropriated and used to build the Borbonic prison called the Ucciardone. Then, between 1891 and 1892 the park hosted the National Exposition Pavilions, designed by Ernesto Basile, projecting the area towards its future.